I have decided to get well: The story of my week

night out

Me and my friends having a “girls’ night out”

I have decided to get well. Sure, there are times when you can’t just decide that and do it. However, I don’t think this is one of those times.

I’ve written before about my physical struggles, especially my ache-y hips and shoulders. I also get these mysterious low-grade fevers.

A couple of weeks and many days of popping Advil ago, I had had enough. I knew it was time to take action. I worked hard to get a doctor appointment. Yes, in my world, with my insurance, that requires a ridiculous amount of phone calls and taking a stand. Ha! We don’t complain too much, though, because our health care is free. But sometimes, you know, you get what you pay for. Haaa!

I made an exhaustive list of my symptoms, both past and present. I quizzed my mom on the family medical history.

I took a blood test.

Yesterday was the big day of my doctor appointment. They sheduled it far out enough that all of my blood work results would be back. I’ve never been more ready to talk to a doc! Alan rushed home from his morning class so that I could make it on time.

I grabbed my envelope full of information. I glanced down at the envelope. 11/9/2015 8:20am.

Errrrrrr. Screeeeeech. Wait! What?

8:20. But. What. But I had everything prepared for 9:20. Why, 8:20, that was already over!!!

I had confused the time AGAIN. Didn’t I just make this mistake with physical therapy last week?

I quickly caught myself on the freak-out thing. “No, I will not panic. Yes, I’m disappointed, but I can still trust God with this. Do I trust him? Yes, I do.”

So I was an hour late. I didn’t even get there quickly because I missed a turn, which left me needing to turn left on a street that does not allow left turns. I have so much trouble focusing!

I chastised myself for my poor ability to focus. But I did not cry! And now, you have to understand, that’s saying something. This was big for me. Who was this calm lady? Not me. I was just trusting God.

The receptionist, and the nurse that she phoned about the situation, were unbending. They said I would just have to reschedule. She even said that there was nothing on the schedule, so she handed me the card with the appointment line phone number on it.

“Call this number next week, and see if they can make you an appointment then.”

Sigh. “Okay.” I turned and walked to my car, dejected.

So much for my grand decision to get better. So much for quizzing a doctor on my symptoms. So much for my rheumatologist referral.

The cold, pouring rain was nothing to me, as I calmly walked to my van. No need to run. No need to panic. I was so disappointed that I could have screamed, but what good would it do?

I sat in my car. I thought a minute.

Then, and I tell you this was the Holy Spirit, God reminded me, “The appointment line won’t turn you away. You have a fever.”

I called the number on the card. I got to tell my story to a kind man with an Indian accent named Gary. Gary said, “And where are you now?”

“Outside in the parking lot,” I chuckled.

“Well, come back in. We’ll at least get a nurse to look at you.”
“That front desk is not going to be happy to see me,” I confessed. “They just got rid of me.”

“Come back in. Ask for Gary. I’ll validate your I.D.”

“Okay, thank you.”

To make a long story short, I did indeed get to see the nurse of the doctor that I did not get to see. I even got the satisfaction of seeing Gary tell the receptionist that you aren’t supposed to send away a patient with a fever.

Okay. I never actually saw Gary. I only heard him tell her, but let me tell you. I love Gary.

I don’t remember the nurse’s name, but all was not lost. They did give me the rheumatology referral that I asked for. She also shared my blood test results with me.

It was not what I expected: high sugar and high sodium. My sugar was 175.

What did I eat before that test? Of course, I cannot remember. I have to take the fasting test later this week. The lab is closed for Veteran’s Day right now.

At first, I thought the results were a fluke or something. High sugar!? That doesn’t go along with my arthritis theory or fevers or anything.

It may not have anything to do with the hip and shoulder aches. However, I’ve been doing some research. I don’t have pre diabetes or diabetes, but my body is heading that way if I do not change course. After all, this is the second time in the past three years that I have failed a glucose test.

Prediabetes is actually a thing. I looked it up online. (I mean, of course I did. hehe)

I’ve spent most of the day in a brain fog, and I’m beginning to think that it could be caused by sugar spikes. Getting confused about appointment times, missing turns, having trouble focusing….All of these things that I do daily could be related to my sugar problem.

I don’t know why I never thought of it before.

My feet and hands get extremely hot and extremely cold. I have to massage the tingles out of my feet so that I can go to sleep many nights. I have other diabetic symptoms, though it had never once occurred to me.

I don’t think I have diabetes, but I do think that if I don’t change my diet, I will. I would also love to lower my sugar and operate with a clear brain again! I’ve been emailing my diabetic Aunt Linda for helpful advice. (Thank you, Aunt Linda!) On Saturday, I’m meeting with my friend Lacy, who is a nutritionist. On Thursday or Friday, I’m going to do the fasting glucose test.

It doesn’t matter if the test comes back normal this time. This time I’m done. I’m ready to be healthy, and I am determined to do all I can to get well!



So I guess I won’t be drinking any more of these….


Please share any delicious sugar free snacks/meal suggestions with me!! Or any great websites! I have a lot to learn!




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge